Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Wisconsin Student Government

 
Hello again and welcome back to Moraine Park Technical College’s, the Scribbler! It sure is nice to see the number of my readers growing. I hope you spread the word that I am here.

This weekend I went to Wausau for the Wisconsin Student Government (WSG) conference. It was awesome! It all started on Friday morning with a motivational speaker named Matt Booth (www.mattbooth.com). If you ever have the chance to go listen to him, GO! He was easy to listen to, he made a lot of sense and the time spent listening was quite uplifting. After the speaker and lunch we started the proceedings.

Another speaker was Conor Smyth a WTCS Policy Advisor. (http://www.wsgtech.org/seminars/State-Legislative-Update-for-WSG-Jan-2011-Conor-Smyth.pdf) He was extremely informative and I encourage you to go to the link above and learn more and see what it is you can do as a citizen and as a technical college student.

There were sixteen different technical colleges attending. It is all very structured and organized. There was a small presentation for the logo winner, Tami Anderson and her daughter. They won an ipad! WOW! After minutes, budgets, elections and such we adjourned to check into the hotel. We stayed at the Stoney Creek Inn…very nice! I was able to bring my family along since my mother-in-law lives just moments from North Central Technical College where we had the WSG meeting. They were able to visit family and go swimming at the hotel.

On Saturday the meeting gathered again for only a few hours and established next year’s dates and locations and finished up other business. My family picked me up and we went to my mother-in-law’s for lunch. Brats and burgers on the grill…YUM! After lunch we all went to the river and enjoyed the cool weather and running water then went right up to Rib Mountain. Even though Beaver Dam has started spring, Wausau is a few steps behind us. There was still quite a bit of snow and the rocks were slick. Too early for Rib Mountain. Even so, I got some great pictures from the weekend and I learned a lot about WSG!

Make it a great one, Kirsten

No comments:

Post a Comment